Sunday, March 11, 2012

Daffodils and Other Things

"Ron's Rescued Orphan Daffodils"


Just got up from my afternoon nap.  A wee bit tired here folks after transplanting three flats of pansies.  Yes, it IS that time of year...spring is finally around the corner.

Last night Day Light Savings Time went into effect.  This is the one time of year that I hate my obsession with clocks.  I think I have about forty-five (yes, FORTY-FIVE) clocks to change.  I love clocks and rarely pass up an opportunity to feed my acquisitive nature for clocks.

I think I have all of them changed.  There is usually one or two I miss that I discover around May or June when I wander into one of our little used rooms here at Casa Tipton-Kelly and wonder what happened to the time when I look at one of those clocks I missed "springing forward".

Pictured above is one of my several clumps for freshly popped out daffodils.  Like our previous property, all the daffodil bulbs around here were stolen taken rescued from an abandoned house site.  Ever see an old run down house or just an empty overgrown lot that in the spring time has clumps and clumps of fresh faced yellow daffodils insolently bobbing in the spring time winds?  A couple of years ago I noticed that the weed overgrown lot at the end of the back lane behind our house had hundreds of daffodils that bloomed every spring.  Two years ago I decided to steal rescue those little baby orphans obviously begging for a loving home.  They be rescued now and don't they look happy?

Another heavy work schedule again last week.  My nappy time yesterday was over three hours!  I'm turning into my Mom, sleeping all day and night.  Another sure sign of Getting Old.

I'm loving this extra hour of daylight and looking forward to the days getting even longer.  Now we're headed into the best time of the year, spring and summer and fall.  I love all the seasons and would only live where I could experience the change of seasons but January and February are really the JUST GET THROUGH IT MONTHS aren't they?  Every year I tell myself I'm going go be like so many of my well off LGBT peers (with their VERY GENEROUS government funded pensions) and head for warmer climes during the dead of winter.

The Other Half in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico - Fun in the Sun


But alas, I am but a poor LGBT with a few meager Philadelphia bank pensions (which have no cost of living increase unlike government pensions)  and I cannot afford that luxury.  Now if I had stayed at my job at the National Security Agency I could have been one of these rich gay Washington D.C. types that are the reason we have so many overpriced restaurants here in Gayberry Rehoboth Beach, DE.  In fact I see where a few of my Friend of Judy peers have just returned from several weeks of idle rich lolling about at Puerto Vallarta, Mexico.  As the Church Lady used to say "Well, aren't we special?"

Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco, Mexico
I got called into work again on Friday on short notice.  Hopefully I can go back to my regular schedule of working Wednesday and Thursday nights.  I like that work rhythm.  Hopefully I say.  There always seems to be some kind of drama going on at work with my co-workers.  I feel like a fireman, called in at the last moment to stomp out another fire.

Friday I also got the stitches out of my back from the removal of the golf ball sized cyst that was growing on my spine.  The lab reports came back negative.  NO CANCER!  Dodged another bullet.  There's one out there for me but My Time hasn't arrived yet.

Bill has a cold.  I had one last week that only lasted one day.  My nose was running like a leaky spigot.  I'm all right now, thank God.  I don't need another cold.  For a mild winter I sure have had my share of colds this winter.

I see the late afternoon sun beckoning me for my daily walk back in the Oyster Rocks development.  I would walk in my neighborhood but I run into too many of my neighbors. I prefer to be the Unknown Stranger in a Strange Neighborhood when I take my daily constitutional.

Well, I'm off for my walk.  Have a great day!

11 comments:

  1. anne marie in philly7:39 PM

    my daffys are up but not open yet, as are my tulips and hyacinths. the snowdrops and crocus are still in full bloom. and how noble of you to rescue those daffys!

    YAYZ for no cancer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anne Marie,

    Daffodils, the harbingers of spring! I love 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ron,

    I don't have time for clocks nagging me. I don't even wear a watch.

    I even had that virus this year. It is because of the mild winter. It takes a good cold snap to wipe out all these germs.

    I got a fair walk in yesterday and today, but it wasn't the warm I hoped to feel out there. It was 35 yesterday morning and cold. I thought today it'd be warmer, but it was 32. I waited around to 9:00, but it only went up to 33 so I went.

    Don't let them work you too hard.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
  4. Daffodils are my favorite flower. I've often said I want to die in the spring, with the daffodils available. Of all the things I miss living in the desert, it is spring bulbs

    ReplyDelete
  5. Same here. Although our week is supposed to be warm so I'm thinking we'll see them bloom in a few days. Yay for spring! Yay for no cancer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. No daffys here yet, but they'll be blooming soon. I'm eager for the trees to bud and leaf.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lar,

    I have an obsession with clocks. I don't know why but I always have. I can never have enough clocks around the house. I pay the price though when I have to change all the times twice a year. I think why I like clocks because of the comforting sound of the "tick, tock" when I was young and stayed in my aunt's house which didn't have electricity.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dr. Spo,

    I have to live in the country where spring bulbs appear. My longtime friend Stuart lives in Ft. Lauderdale. Every year he bemoans that he doesn't see tulips. There is nothing to match the smell of fresh spring flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Walt,

    Today the warm temperatures arrive! I love it! I am anxious to begin my spring cleanup. I love this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Scott,

    What part of the country do you live?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I live in western pa.

    ReplyDelete