Monday, March 26, 2012

How To Write A Good Blog

Me writing in my daily journal 

As regular bloggers know, there are all kinds of experts out there who can tell us how to write a good blog.  They know all the tips to increase readers. Some of the tips are as follows:

  • Daily postings
  • Concise postings
  • Topical postings
  • Postitive postings
  • Interesting postings (whatever that is)
The one tip that I rarely if ever see is this one:  WRITE WELL

None of this fancy dancy stuff.  No tricks.  Hey, let's face it.  All of us can't be a Dave Barry.

Looky here, I am an expert reader.  Why am I an expert reader?  Because I say so. 

I find the very best blogs are ones that are well written.  I haven't done a lot of blogosphere exploring mainly because there is so much crap out there.  From the self-asorbed failed New York writer who thinks she writes fabulous blogs but which are obviously canned to the bloggers who give me a headache because I don't know what the hell they're talking about. 

I have found from my very unscientific and limited survey that a good writer can write about anything and their blog postings are always interesting.  They can write about the most mundane subject from what they are doing today to what they are cooking for a meal that night, but their simple, uncomplicated way of writing with just a touch of whimsy makes their blog postings a must for me.

Wonder who these fabulous bloggers are?  Just take a look at "My Favorite Bloggers" list on my blog.  From "The Cajun" to "Urspo", they never fail to grab my interest and make me care about their life, no matter how routine or unglamorous it seems.

One of my very favortie bloggers is Bob of "I Should Be Laughing".  This guy is way better than Perez Hilton or Mike Walker.  And he's free!

Then there is Mark of "Our Simple Lives".  I've met Mark in person several times and he is the same sweetheart that he appears to be in his blog.  He is the real deal. 

A recent discovery is Scott of "Bigger Than My Heart".  Scott has a lovely way with words.  His blogs are almost like reading prose. 

I don't want to slight anybody, especially my longtime friend Larry.  He is now writing his autobiography which is not open for public consumption but it is the best biography I've read since Walter Isaacson's of Steve Jobs.  Of course Larry is no Steve Jobs (nor am I).  Larry, like me, is just a regular schlub who likes to write but man, is he a good writer.  He just needs to expand his vocabulary a little bit and he would be gang busters (just kidding Larry - a private joke folks).

There are a few on my blog roll who I'm not quite sure are legitimate yet because they are so secretive.  I've been taken in before by the secretive ones so I am reluctant to make a judgement at this time.

But the point I wanted to make on this posting is the simple fact that all it takes to write a good and interesting blog is to be honest and write in easy to understand English with a touch of self depreciation.

That is what works for me.  Now if I can just find some more of these folks.

22 comments:

  1. When I first started blogging I had absolutely no idea what to write about and I was ready to abandon the venture (or adventure). That was about ten years ago. I've been successfully saying nothing for a decade!

    I'm surprised at how many excellent blogs there are now, and how many fantastic people I've come to know because of blogging. That's the main reason that I still do it. And, of course, it's a great emotional outlet.

    I'm glad you mentioned that writing well is important, because it is. It's also important to be yourself - - whatever the hell that means. I write exactly the way I think (wow, that's kinda scary) Whatever comes naturally.

    My biggest fault is that I'm too verbose, which is obvious from this comment.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,

      You write one of the honest blogs that are easy to read. You write from the heart which is what I like in a good blog. By the way, I don't think you're too verbose. Don't apologize for being yourself. Being yourself is what I think is so wonderful about writing your own personal blog. If someone thinks you're too verbose or too personal, then they can go elsewhere. I too used to worry about being too verbose and other things then I decided that I'm not writing to please others but for myself. If others enjoy reading my blog, that's fine. If not, they have the freedom to find a blog they feel more comfortable reading. You keep on writing your blog the way you're writing it. I think you're doing just fine.

      Delete
  2. anne marie in philly5:29 PM

    how about my spouse's blog?

    http://arteejee.blogspot.com

    no pix, just satire and rhetorical musings. and political commentary (his own). sometimes a slice of real life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne Marie,
      I did not know about your husband's blog. I'll check it out. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the shout-out and the suggestions for other blogs.
    I hadn't read a couple of those others, but am looking forward to checking them out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Bob. You have a natural talent for writing. I am always impressed with people who have talent. You're good.

      Delete
  4. Nice post. I wonder if you are getting my direct emails. Max.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Max. No, I am not getting your direct e-mails.

      Delete
    2. According to blogger your email is ronstales@aol.com, is that incorrect?

      Delete
    3. Yes Max, that is my e-mail address.

      Delete
    4. I just resent an email to you.

      Delete
    5. Max,

      I did not get the e-mail. I got this notification but not your e-mail.

      Delete
    6. I don't know what else to try.

      Delete
    7. Max,

      I don't understand either. I've checked all my spam and your e-mail isn't their either. What is your e-mail address?

      Delete
  5. Tomorrow I write about paper clips; I hope you will be on the edge of your seat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,

      You are incapable of writing an uninteresting blog posting. I am sure that many of your loyal blog followers will agree with my assessment of your unique talent. You are very likable. We are interested in you and your life. You are one of my secret pleasures.

      Delete
  6. You're sweet Ron. Thanks for this.
    I think I write simple because I am simple. If I were to try to pretend to be an expert in anything other than my own life or the lives of my Family, I would prove myself to be a total fraud. Still, I can have my opinions of the world, in general, right?
    Thanks alot and I can't wait to see you this Summer.
    mark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a rarity Mark. You're genuine. Does Fred know how fortunate he is?

      Delete
  7. I've always enjoyed blogs about real lives; one honest story is worth a dozen grandiose efforts. Thank you for mentioning me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scott,
      Like you I too have always enjoyed blogs about real lives. I really appreciate bloggers who are open and honest and don't hide in anonymity. You Scott are one of the best. I thoroughly enjoy reading your blog. You not only write well, but you come across as a kind and caring person. I like you.

      Delete
  8. ron, it is interesting to read this list of "rules". i remember that when i was an actor, they always told me the "rules" of auditioning, and then they said that the only rule was to break the rules. i think i still agree with that. perhaps these rules apply if a blogger wants to get and retain readers. i write when i feel like writing, and when i have something to say. since my blog is not necessarily "personal", i have to have a "topic" on which to write, and i do like to write long posts to challenge my reader to stay with me. you write long posts as well! my goal is to attract people who are interested in WHAT i write about, and HOW i write. i like having readers, but that is not my primary goal--they will come or not. my goal is to write, and that is what i do! -tony

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tony,

      I agree with you 100% that "rules" are meant to be broken! Like you, I write when I feel like writing and what I want to write about. I think it is interesting that along the way I invariably lose a few followers but then I gain a few. I have to resist the urge to temper my postings as to not turn off readers but then I think "What the heck? It's my blog and I'll write what I want to write." Of course I don't want to be needlessly offensive and I do try and avoid not doing that. I also don't want to be hurtful but if I see or hear of something that I consider hypocritical I will write about it. Like you my goal is to attract people who are interested in WHAT i write about, not HOW I write. I too like having readers but that is not my primary goal either. My goal, like yours, is to write.
      Thanks Tony for your thoughtful comment. - Ron

      Delete