Tuesday, March 06, 2012

Philadelphia Flower Show 2012 and Agoraphobia

Philadelphia, PA 2011


In about an hour Bill and I will leave for Georgetown.  I will catch the Del Tech bus that leaves at 8 am this morning for the Philadelphia Flower Show.  This year I will be attending the flower show by myself.

Rittenhouse Square, Philadelphia, PA 2011


I used to live and work in Philadelphia in my previous life.  Once a year I take the opportunity of the annual Philadelphia Flower Show to visit my former stomping grounds.  I also visit my former co-worker and friend Don who lives in Philadelphia.  I don't really go to visit the flower show.  Ironically, all the years (37) I worked in Philadelphia, I never visited the flower show which was only a couple of blocks away from where I worked at Mellon Bank.

Lunch time crowd at Rittenhouse Square, Philadelphia, PA 2011


I'll touch base at the flower show, which usually is a disappointment for me.  I've always thought the hype about the Philadelphia Flower show was more than the reality of the flower show.

After making the obligatory stroll though the Convention Center at Market Street where the flower show is held, I'll then take a walk over to the Philadelphia City Hall and see if they finally completed the renovation (which I doubt).  I'll make another stop at the Ritz-Carlton Hotel (which used to be Girard (then Mellon) Bank where I worked in my innocent youth.  Still hard for me to believe that the once venerable bank where I worked is now a hotel.  A beautiful hotel but still a hotel.  Wouldn't it be a kick if I got a front desk job at THAT hotel?  Yeah, sure.

Lobby, Ritz-Carlton Hotel, Philadelphia, PA 2011


I enjoy these annual trips to Philadelphia to visit my old haunts and visit my friend Don but I have to be honest and tell you that taking these trips are becoming more stressful for me.  I don't know how many more I can take.

Philadelphia City Hall, 2011


I worry at time that I am becoming agoraphobic.  Seriously, I think I am becoming housebound.  I know Bill is.  He won't be going with me on this trip.  We both feel more safe and secure in our home than the unfamiliar outside world.

Yesterday Bill and I finished installing my new 32 inch flat screen TV in my home office.  Now I can work on my computer while I have the TV on as wallpaper.  This is the way I like to work on my computer, with MSNBC on as background noise.  I can't just sit and watch TV because I'll fall asleep.

So I think I have everything ready for my big trip to the Philadelphia Flower Show today.  I'm taking my Flip Video camera, big fancy Canon camera, my iPhone (and Bill's as a backup), and my Wash 'n Wipes (in case I have an emergency bathroom visit which is always a concern on these trips for me).  I think I have everything.

To tell you the truth, I probably would rather stay home today and just update my Find a Grave account, update my blogs, and check my blog buddies postings to see what they are posting.

Independence Hall, Philadelphia, PA

12 comments:

  1. I think having a goal for a visit makes it much more pleasant. I hope you have a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, ron, there is a difference between enjoying a nice home and having a preference for that over the outside world, and having severe anxiety about going outside. you go outside regularily! it is very true that it is difficult to get around, with traffic and everyone texting and not watching where they are going. here in l.a., i rarely go out--too much hassle and there are too many assholes! plus, i LOVE my apartment!

    hopefully there will be nice weather in philly and you can see some flowers that surprise you with their beauty. have a good time! -tony

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a young kid I considered the Philadelphia Flower Show "punishment" if I was visiting my Grandparents on spring break. It took years to grow to appreciate my Grandfathers trade(wholesale florist)But thinking about it today I can smell the real treat the cheesesteak we always got before heading home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. anne marie in philly6:58 PM

    spouse's BFF exhibits his cactus plants at the show and ALWAYS wins ribbons. his best year was 42 ribbons (I believe it was in 2003 or 2004).

    my problems with the flower show are (a) always crowded, thereby aggravating my claustrophobia and (b) never enough seating! damn, sometimes ya just gotta rest your tootsies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. true agoraphobia involves a desire to go out, but too anxious to do so. Not wanting to go out is more apathy - or contentment with where you are.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dr. Spo,

    You are right! I am very content at home. However, I am glad I took the trip to Philadelphia yesterday. But I'm also glad I'm home again. Do I sound mixed up?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anne Marie,

    The flower show was crowded as usual but surprisingly there was plenty of seating. Maybe they got your memo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Roger,
    The Philadelphia Flower Show this year was a Hawaiian theme. For the first time that I can remember the flower show actually smelled like flowers. I didn't smell any cheesesteaks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tony,

    Both you and Dr. Spo were right, I am too comfortable here at my home. You're right, I do go out a lot so I guess I don't have true agoraphobia . I like to get out but I also am very glad when I'm at home, like now! Next month Bill and I are take off for our annual trip Down South. Already I'm sort of dreading it but still looking forward for the opportunity for more adventures, pictures and videos!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Scott,

    Actually my visit was very nice. Usually I go with somebody but I had no one to go with me this time. It turned out fine because they didn't hold me back. I could go where and when I wanted to. The best part of the visit was having lunch with my former co-worker and longtime friend Don. I only get to see him once a year these days.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I visited Philadelphia several years ago. It was almost an out of body experience to stand in Independence Hall to see the place where our country was born. Thanks for visiting my blog. I will be reading yours now. Always nice to meet a new person in the blogosphere.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Same here Jay, it is always nice to meet new friends in the blogosphere. I look forward to reading your postings.

    ReplyDelete