Saturday, March 17, 2012

Quiet


Sometimes I just like quiet.  How about you?

When I was young, I always had music blasting through the house or apartment.  I couldn't get enough.  Nowadays, all is quiet at Casa Tipton-Kelly.  Sometimes I can hear polka music playing in Bill's working area in the basement.

When I had this house built, I installed speakers through the house in the ceiling.  Do I use them?  No.

I don't know why I changed.  Maybe because I'm older now, I like a less stressful living area.

We live in the Sussex County, bayside just where the curve begins


That's one reason why I moved to Delaware.  The pace is slower down here in the third and southern most county in Delaware.  Sussex County Delaware is often referred to (affectionately of course) as "Slower Lower."  That means we have a slower pace and we're the lowest (geographically speaking) county.

A few nights ago I asked Bill if he wanted to go for a ride.  We often take a ride up to Route 16 and the Primehook National Wildlife Sanctuary.  We also take a ride down Oyster Rocks Road right outside our development here to the Broadkill River.  The video at the beginning of this post was taken that evening.  Usually it's very windy at the Broadkill but that night all was eerily quiet.  The Broadkill River was smooth as glass.

The Broadkill Beach upper left - one of our favorite spots in Delaware
We live in the development towards the upper left, on the right side of Rt. 1.  I work in Lewes which is to the right, the curve of geography which is Cape Henlopen.  I would rather be no other place on earth.
Listen carefully and you can hear the song of an evening bird.  This is the music I prefer to hear these days.



8 comments:

  1. I can make a guess as to why you don't listen to as much music the way you once did... you have more memories to ponder over and you appreciate more of what you see / experience around you, without the need to have something to entertain your thoughts as music once did. - Max

    ReplyDelete
  2. Max,

    I think you're on to something. Yes, I do have many more memories to ponder over. That is one of the best things about this time of my life, my memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolute peace and quiet is my ideal. That's why I'm so desperate to move from my present situation in a noisy, impossibly chaotic neighborhood.
    The only noise I can tolerate is the sound of myself playing the piano.

    When I was young, however, I had Led Zeppelin blasting at alarming decibels.

    ReplyDelete
  4. anne marie in philly2:26 AM

    I am half-and-half: sometimes noisy, sometimes quiet. depends on my mood.

    wasn't saturday a wonderful day to spend outside?

    sunday I am going into town (philly) to hang out with a knitting friend. we will be in the 20th & pine/south streets area.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like quiet.
    I like solitude.
    I like alone, not lonely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jon,

    I could never live in a noise neighborhood. When we lived in Pennsylvania, out in the country, our formerly quiet neighbors sub-divided their land and the new owners built a house and the three ring circus began. ATV's roaring around the perimeter (our common border) of their property for hours on end. Screaming kids at their pool. It was hell. I was so glad to get out of there. Now we live in a very quiet neighborhood. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bob,

    We're on the same page again. I too like peace and quiet and being alone but I don't like lonely. I like the way you put it. Bill gives me my space. When I visit my brother he doesn't. It drives me crazy. But I realize why he does it because he is so lonely. It is a delicate balance, this life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anne Marie,

    Ah yes, I remember 20th and Pine. When Bill and I lived in Philly, we lived at 24th and Naudain, not that far away. A lovely section of town.

    ReplyDelete